Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Boston Logan...

Ok Terminal E, the international terminal, was under construction forever and now it's done. Sadly, I'm not impressed. It's ok looking, but the design is just stupid, and makes jam ups inevitable whenever more than 50 people are trying to check in at any one airline, or more than 100 are trying to get through security. Which is pretty much always. Considering Boston's pretensions as an international hub of trade, I'm amazed they thought this was biig enough even when they started (10 years ago?).

And wifi is $7.95 for a day pass, but since most people are only here for about 3 hours (barring some awful delay) it's pretty steep, esp. since many airports have it for free. I think internet access should be free, period.

But enough of that. In addition to the conferences I'm attending, I'm interviewing people at several institutions connected with the study of new/digital media. So far these include The Waag Society, V2_, Worm, and the Piet Zwart Institute Media Design Program, and maybe other places too. So it will be quite a visit! I'm hoping to learn something about how the different ways these places are organized shaped the relationships they have with theiir local and national communities, and with each other. Also I want to learn all I can about what has worked for them and what hasn't, so hopefully it will help me and my colleagues at CSU Stan. as we work on our new center.

I should be boarding in 20 minutes, so I'll post this and get myself organized. I've read that the food on IcelandAir sucks, and I don't even know how much they would feed us on the overnight flight, so I think I'll grab something. Tot zien!

No comments: